Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas in Nebaj

I spent Xmas in Nebaj which is a pueblo in the Ixil region located here in the department of El Quiche. Don, an older gentleman originally from the hills of eastern Tennessee, owns a restaurant and hostel called Popi's. Every year he makes traditional rice tamales and distributes them to the hospital and jail. A group of us gringos, some PC volunteers and some trekking guides, helped hand them out on Xmas eve (noche buena). Then on Xmas we partook in a wonderful duck dinner and were joined by some travelers from Israel and Italy.

The next morning I woke with a stomach ache (duck is a thick and greasy meat). I stupidly ate a big breakfast and topped it off with a piece of apple pie. Then I got on a micro to head back to my site. It's a long, windy and bumpy road. With that combination I proceeded to barf after I got off the micro to wait for a connecting ride. Thank goodness I was able to hold out until I was outside. So, that was my Xmas.

I came to understand that Xmas is a big holiday here and everyone stays up to midnight on Xmas eve. There's lots of partying, fireworks, music (blaring music!!) and general clamor in the streets. Glad to know people are having fun but I wish I had my ear plugs. The music didn't stop until 3am. There seems to be a phenomenon here were people use public space in any which way they choose and either disregard or don't consider the people around them. Their short term goals outweigh the overall desire or health of the community as a whole -- Tragedy of the Commons I suppose.

Hope you all had a great holiday and that your New Year's celebration is fantastic and safe.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Aron, It's now 2009, and I wish you a wonderful, healthy, aspiring year of adventure!

    ReplyDelete