Friday, December 19, 2008

Ungowa! Introduction

Thanks to everyone who requested I start a blog. Now you guys better read it and post some comments! I'm glad that we now have a medium in which I can share updates, thoughts, and photos and have them available to a wider audience.

I have been living in Guatemala now for over 4 months. I spent the first three of them in the department (equivalent to a state in the U.S.) of Sacatepéquez training for my assignment and the last month here in my site. I don't think I can mention it's name due to Peace Corps rules. I should mention that I'm a PC volunteer working in the area of municipal development. More about that to come.

My site is the largest, in regards to area, municipality in all of Guatemala. It's the birthplace of the Nobel Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu. But nobody here seems to really care about that. I'll explain why in a future blog. If you're interested in the subject, I recommend you read "I, Rigoberta Menchu." And then read the book, "Rigoberta Menchu: And the Story of All Poor Guatemalans" by the anthropologist David Stoll.

I'm located in the northwestern highlands of Guatemala and my site is about 80% indigenous Maya. The predominant language is K' iche' (kee-che) and most people speak Spanish although they would consider it their second language. Makes for communicating slightly difficult especially when I'm shopping on market day.

Well, that's all I have time for today. I'll make sure to post a longer blog next week when I can dedicate some more time to it.

2 comments:

  1. you'll never believe this. i went to a used bookstore yesterday and was looking at the travel books in the latin america section. i see this one that looks really intriguing and a good window in the life of people in the region, guatemala in particular. the name of the book? i, rigoberta menchu. then i open my email and read your blog this morning. ack! what an awesome sign. anyway, i'm coming in march!! get ready!! (need to set a date..let me know!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aron, Keep blogging! I want to read about your peace corps projects.

    ReplyDelete